Life changing, unique encounters, the heart-stopping wilderness of all-Africa’s wildlife encounters little can match the experience that is gorilla trekking!!
4 Days Gorilla Tour (Uganda) Itinerary
Day 1: Entebbe/Arrival Uganda
Upon arrival at Entebbe Airport, meet our representative, greet and transfer to your hotel/lodge.
Day 2: Domestic flight to Bwindi
Transfer by domestic flight to Kisoro the home of Mountain-Gorillas. You’ll proceed to the breathtaking; evergreen mountain country deep to the southwestern part of Uganda; close to the borders of Rwanda and Congo. You will see a great countryside of bamboo forest and have great views of the landscape.
Upon arrival in Kisoro, you will drive to the ‘Batwa’ (pygmies) Cultural Trail in Mgahinga National Park, doing this trail will enable you to interact and learn about the interesting lifestyle of Uganda’s unique pygmies. The Batwa pygmies are the traditional inhabitants of the forest currently occupied by the National Park. The trail exposes you to the in-depth hidden history of the Batwa pygmies before the year 1990 when they evacuated the forest area that had become protected and conserved as a National Park.
The Batwa Trail is unique in a way that it showcases the authentic culture of the original inhabitants of the Mghahinga forest who’s lives mainly depended on the natural habitat. While exploring the trail, you experience the naturally endowed forest through a rare viewpoint of the local people. The experience comes along with different unique demonstrations on how the pygmies used to extract local herbs that were used for healing different diseases, traditional ways of fetching water using locally made bamboo mugs and construction of grass huts.
The highly rewarding cultural tour ends with staged, authentic cultural performance organized by the Batwa community at the gate of the Garama cave, which was highly regarded as a ceremonial place for the cultural leaders of the Batwa community. Transfer to your lodge in preparation for Gorilla trekking the following day.
Day 3: Gorilla Trekking!!!
Today is the big day… Prepare yourself for an encounter with one of Bwindi’s gentle giants: the rare Mountain Gorilla. For most people, this is the absolute highlight of their tour in Uganda. You will be required to wake up early in the morning then be led to the visitor’s reception center for a briefing about the park. You are allocated guides before heading into the forest in search of Mountain Gorillas.
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest boasts both Mountain Gorillas and Chimpanzees – the only forest in Africa, which can make this claim in fact. It also hosts five other species of primate, 113 species of mammal, over 200 butterflies and 360 birds.
The Gorillas you will track belong to one of nine habituated family groups who can tolerate the presence of humans for a brief period every day. Your trek will be an exciting journey along forested slopes, entwined vines, bushes and bamboo before you eventually reach the Gorillas’ habitat. En route, your guide will point out signs of previous Gorilla activity, including dung, nests and chewed bamboo shoots.
The time taken to track the Gorillas can take as little as 2 hours! Once the Gorillas have been located, your group will be allowed a maximum of one hour with them. Coming face-to-face with a Mountain Gorilla is a truly humbling and emotional experience. This is a fantastic and privileged opportunity to get up close and personal with Uganda’s very own ‘Gorillas in the Mist’.
After trekking Gorillas, return to your camp/ lodge from where you will relive those special moments with friends over a drink.
Day 4: Departure
In the morning, you’ll catch your departure domestic flight from kisoro to Entebbe and later Depart.
Accommodation for tonight is not inclusive in the program. This trip can be undertaken by both Road and by Air, however, if you do choose the road option and wish to depart tonight from Entebbe Airport, make sure your flight is at 10 pm or later. If you would like us to book one (or more) nights in Kampala and/or Entebbe, please let us know.
This marks the end of what we hope will be an adventurous trip.
Please observe our Additional checklist for Gorilla Tracking:
- Long sleeve shirts and trousers (old clothes recommended as they can get very dirty and torn from the thorns and jungle foliage)
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Hat and sunglasses (although once in the jungle you are in the shade)
- Gardening gloves to protect your hand from the thorns and vines
- Good, comfortable sturdy hiking boots with good ankle support
- Getters or Long socks to tuck your trousers into
- Rain jacket
- Camera with lenses of different mill meters
- Waterproof rucksack (or plastic bags inside your rucksack)
- Plenty of water (the camp provides a packed lunch and lots of water
- For evenings at the camp, it is worth taking a warm fleece as evenings can be chilly. For the daytime light, casual clothes generally suffice.
The departure dates for all our African safaris and tours packages are
totally flexible according to your own personal needs. Please contact us
for further and more detailed information.
Price (USD) Per Person Including 4×4 Jeep
I. If 1 pax traveling @US$2,861
II. If 2 pax traveling @US$2,256
III. If 4 pax traveling @US$2,008
IV. If 6 pax traveling @US$1,930
Price (USD) per Person including 4×4 Safari Minibus
I. If 1 pax traveling @US$$2,604
II. If 2 pax traveling @US$2,117
III. If 4 pax traveling @US$1,942
IV. If 6 pax traveling @US$1,890
- Arrival and Departure Airport transfers in Uganda.
- Round trip internal domestic flight.
- All meals EXCEPT on last day of Safari.
- Transportation in a 4x4Safari vehicle with English Speaking Driver/Guide.
- Midrange accommodation in Lodges / Camps on safari.
- 1 gorilla trekking permit in Uganda for each person- $600 P.P
- Batwa Trail in Mgahinga National Park
- All activities described on itinerary except those described as ‘Optional’.
- Travel insurance.
- All personal expenditure such as tips, telephone calls.
- All activities NOT described on the itinerary.